News of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Pittsburgh area, counsel from its leaders, and reflections from its members.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Pressure Canning

Tammy Brose (Warren Ward, Jamestown NY Stake) contributed the following:

I would like to encourage people to look into canning with a pressure canner without being afraid, if they aren't using one already. I can meat all the time, especially when me husband gets a deer during hunting season. We also grow way to many potatoes to store before they go bad, and I can can them up and they keep very well. I don't like to keep all my eggs in one basket. If the electricity goes out and all the stuff in my freezer has to be used up quickly, I still have canned vegies and meat that will be good. Maybe I am preaching to the choir, but I am surprised how many people won't use a pressure canner for fear of its exploding or something. They are much safer now than they were 40-50 years ago.

1 comment:

  1. I use a pressure canner for all my canning and love it. I feel safer as it seals much better and faster as I did use the water bath once to compare. Just read the directions for your personal pressure canner and it's so easy and fast!
    Sharon Hunt

    ReplyDelete